- Hotel Management & Chef Traineeships at Vineyard Hotel & SpaPosted July 18, 2013
- Standard Bank Group Shared Services Learnership ProgrammePosted August 22, 2013
- John Thompson Apprenticeships (Boilermaking & Welding)Posted September 25, 2013
- Finance Learnership Opportunity at Afric OilPosted May 29, 2013
- Anglo American Learnerships Opportuities (New Vaal Colliery)Posted August 20, 2013
- FNB Learnership Opportunity (Joburg)Posted September 27, 2013
- Teaching Internships / Learnership at Redhill SchoolPosted October 28, 2013
- Wanted: Learner Lab Assistant at AMPATHPosted December 1, 2013
- Learnership Programme at Bytes People Solutions – 2014Posted January 16, 2014
- Sales Learnership Opportunity at SABMiller (Egoli)Posted February 15, 2014
Dr Neville Alexander Language Scholarship
The Dr Neville Alexander Language Scholarship was established in 2013 by PanSALB in an effort to promote and encourage academic interests in disciplines directly related to the promotion of multilingualism, mother tongue education and the development of language in education at all levels of learning.
Dr Alexander who passed away on 27 August 2012 at the age of 75 was in the forefront of multilingualism in the post-apartheid South Africa and one of the major advocates of linguistic diversity and mother tongue education. It is due to his commitment to promote the use and development of indigenous languages that PanSALB is commemorating by naming its scholarship after him.
Objectives of the Scholarship
The objectives of the scholarship are:
- To invest in human potential by providing financial assistance to tertiary students who wish to obtain formal qualifications at any recognised learning institutions.
- To afford tertiary students/matriculants an opportunity to gain practical and on the job training experience in disciplines related to the promotion and development of languages.
- To promote and encourage the use of mother tongue
- To encourage research and academic excellence in the language field
Categories of the scholarship
There are four types of qualifications in the language field that can be funded. These are shown in the table below:
- Post Graduate, Research and Developmental Studies in the linguistic field
- Undergraduate Studies in the linguistic field
- Research Projects and Documentaries in the linguistic field
- Incentive and Mentorship Scheme for Learners
- The scholarship is only awarded to South African citizens.
- Applications will not be considered unless the applicant has a valid South African ID number.
- Applicants for undergraduate scholarship must already have been accepted into an appropriate study programme at a recognised higher education institution. Applicants also need to meet certain admission criteria of the institution and they must also meet the national selection criteria for the Dr Neville Alexander Scholarship.
The national selection criteria for the Dr Neville Alexander Language Scholarship criteria include the following:
- The applicant’s academic ability;
- Eligibility for an approved degree or in one of the priority areas;
- Commitment to disciplines directly related to the promotion of multilingualism, mother tongue education and the development of language in education at all levels.
How to apply
Click here to download the application form
- Post Graduate Studies Specialising in Research: 31 October 2013
- Undergraduate Studies: 31 October 2013
- Projects and Documentaries: 31 October 2013
- Incentive and Mentorship Scheme for Learners: 31 October 2013
For enquiries contact Hlomelang Morake at Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Telephone: 012 341 9638; go to www.pansalb.org.za/NALS/ OR vist them at Physical Address: Dr Neville Alexander Scholarship Administrator 5th floor, Provisus Building, 523 Stanza Bopape Street, Arcadia, 0083