Bursary Programme at Potato Industry Development Trust
The Trust, through Potatoes South Africa, provides bursaries to diploma, undergraduate and post graduate students studying agriculture at a tertiary institution in South Africa.
• To make a contribution towards ensuring that well qualified scientists are developed to address the research needs of the potato industry.
• To increase the potato industry’s pool of knowledge.
Who can apply?
• Honours, Masters and PhD students in the field of agriculture – potatoes. (Masters and PhD students to submit a potato related research proposal.)
• Must have excellent academic standing.
• South African citizens.
• Proof of registration at an appropriate South African university
Conditions of the bursary
After completion of the studies the student must work for a potato industry related company, organisation or institution in the Republic of South Africa as approved by the Potato Industry Development Trust equivalent to the period of the bursary.
All students are given the opportunities to get to know the potato industry through an annual induction programme that takes place in April. The program includes visits to a fresh produce market, a potato farm, a processing plant and research facilities. Diploma and undergraduate students will be given the opportunity to enhance their skills through an internship (for disciplines requiring practical training and exposure as part of their qualification condition) and a workplace experience program to enhance their employment opportunities.
How to apply
The closing date for applications is 31 October 2016 and students who have not been contacted by the 31st of January 2017 must regard their application as being unsuccessful.